Sunday, 3 May 2009

A victorious day for all civil societies in Singapore



The AWARE saga has brought to our attention how we should always respect each other's beliefs and also to question our own prejudices. I had thought that the Old Guards were gonna lose because at the last count, we were standing at 600 against 1000. I'm very glad Singaporeans had good sense and many came to vote. Usually whichever camp I suppose, they'll always lose. (damn suay right??). But this time, it was a sweet victory.

I must also say that Josei Lau took quite a lot from everyone and she deserves some appreciation too. However, her exco and herself need to realise that they should not allow their religious prejudices to encroach into secular spaces. Some say that the majority of Singaporeans are conservative. I doubt it. It's usually the conservative minority that makes the most noise. Most Singaporeans are tolerant, if not accepting of each other's differences and celebrate diversity. I'm very proud I'm part of this nation that has come so far and time and again, we did not allow religion and race to divide us. Yes there are still lots of prejudices and social injustices out there. It's up to us as individuals to open up and examine our prejudices. To quote Jamiroquai... Don't give hate a chance! :)

No comments: