Monday, 8 December 2008

Death

Bobby is a rabbit with brown silky fur given to my mum when dad's friend's daughter didn't want it anymore. He was meant to replace another rabbit that died after we cared for it many years after we rescued it from the streets.

Bobby is a feisty rabbit. I've always thought that he's a rabbit in serious identity crisis. A rabbit who thinks he is a dog. As he is not caged, he basically runs around the whole house on his own. Going to the balcony to sleep in the day time, and then returning home in the kitchen at night. In between that, he'll chase me around the house when I'm busy or watch TV with mum.

Just this morning at 5am+, he was jumping around me while I made my cereal. Then later in the morning around 10+, he refused to come out from behind the bicycle. We carried him out and it seems like his whole body went limp. I kept him company till mum came back from morning marketing. Brought him to Mt Pleasant hospital and while waiting in the ER, he yelped. Once, twice, trice. I told the nurse he's probably dying. I need to see the vet immediately. The kind nurse brought us to the room at the back and listened to his heartbeat which was very weak by then. The doc came in a minute and by that time, his heart had stopped beating.

This is the first time I saw the process of dying happening right before my eyes. Slowly, life was lost from Bobby. Just like that and its taken away. I just hope in his rabbit world, he didn't suffered too much before dying. I went away from the hospital red-eyed and had a deeper understanding of what is Life. Bobby and the silly things he did as a rabbit will forever be missed by our family.

No comments: